Monday, September 12, 2011

I John 1 study questions

I have intended to do this since starting ministry, but I am starting now!  Whenever I lead a Bible study I write out questions/a "lesson plan" and have wanted to post those online for my own record and also so that those of you who financially or prayerfully support my ministry w/CRU can follow along w/what we are going through.  I have been lazy about actually typing them up.  Then recently while hanging out w/some former Bible study girls they mentioned that I had taught I John w/their group!  I had completely forgotten that, and decided then to start compiling my notes so that I would not forgot what I had learned/taught in the past.

This year in CRU all of our Bible studies are going through I John.  It is a difficult book--not a real "outline" to follow and it deals with some hard things.  But if you want to follow along, here are my notes on chapter 1.  I will post about this every time we finish a chapter, which should be at least once a month. 

Thank you for your prayers for this ministry!



I John 1:1-10
1-4: Prologue
-What kinds of words do you see repeated in this section & what does that repetition communicate?
(“we have…action verbs”, “proclaim”, “made manifest”, “life” fellowship”)
-what is the stated purpose of the letter in this section?
                Keep this I mind as we read—how does I John promote joy? Is joy your response?

5.  darkness: Gk is skotos (symbolizing sin) or skotia (consequences of sin) depending on manuscripts
                -do you think this refers to sin or the consequences of sin contextually?
     Light: gk is phos=never kindled or quenched.
    -What do these descriptors tell us about God & His character?

6-7: 2 walks w/different consequences & reflections.  What are they?
-Why do you think vs. 6 mentions fellowship w/God but v. 7 mentions fellowship w/other believers?
-What does it practically look like to walk in darkness or light f/m your personal experience?

8-10: steps to communion w/God
8.  Key verse to remember as we do the rest of the book! 
                -how do you see this verse true in your lives?
9.  what does it mean practically to confess your sins?  (aka, what does it include/not include?)

10.Why do you think saying “we have no sin” warrants such a harsh response?

Reflection: How does this chapter promote joy in you and how can you practically apply them in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment