Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reading the Bible in 90 days: day 1

I decided to start this challenge on the first day of August--figured that it would be a fitting start to a new month, as well as to the beginning of my new status as an unemployed woman.

My first section was to read Genesis 1:1-16:16.

Wow.  A lot of content in a few chapters.  The first part was very interesting and it is helpful to read larger portions of the Old Testament at once rather than breaking them up by chapters.  I read from the creation of the world to the birth of Ishmael to Haagar & Abram--that is a lot to study in one morning! I did struggle through some of the "begat" sections and found myself fighting my tendency to nod off.

I think my greatest fear in doing this challenge is that I will end up just glancing over the passages instead of studying them intently.  I don't think that will be quite as much of a problem in the Old Testament since it is mostly narrative, but once we get into the epistles that will be a LOT of content to go through quickly. 

However, I am trying to read all of this through the lens of 2 Tim. 3:16-17: (fun fact, this verse is referring only to the Old Testament at the time b/c the New Testament had not yet been compiled!  don't let anyone tell you that the Old Testament is not valid or useful!)
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
 That can be hard in the more data-heavy sections of the OT.  I'm making notes through the verses though so I can reflect on it more--however, I am also struggling with going into my "religious studies student" mindset and analyzing everything historically as we did in class.  It's hard to wrap my mind around this stuff.  Like men who lived for over 900 years and didn't start having kids until their hundreds; the creation of the earth; God referring to himself in the plural; etc...

So what did I "get out of" this section?  I'll break it up into interesting facts that I did not formerly notice/remember and things that affected me spiritually.

"Fun facts"
  • Gen. 1:29-30--the only food God mentions as his provision for mankind is fruits/vegetables.  The introduction of meat into man's diet does not come until later.  A case for vegetarianism?  hmmm...  
  • Gen. 2:17, 3:3--in reference to the tree of the knowledge of good & evil.  God commands Adam &
    Eve "but from the tree of the knowledge of good & evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die."  When Eve is later talking to the serpent she says "but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall note eat from it or touch it, lest you die'."  I won't pretend to have noticed this on my own, but it was noted in the footnotes with the concept that it is difficult for us to leave God's Word alone and often try to add our own provisions or explanations.
  • Gen. 3:11--God asks "who told you that you were naked"  It made me think of Romans 7 when Paul is discussing the role of the Law with sin.  (Rom. 7:7-8..."I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, 'You shall not covet' But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment produced in me coveting of every kin; for apart from the Law, sin is dead.") Basically, the tree of the knowledge of good & evil is like the garden of Eden version of the Law.  Without it they were oblivious to anything that would have been considered sin or shame, and their hearts were pure.  We all know that the eating of this fruit was "the fall" and introduction of sin into the world, but I think it is interesting to look at this in light of Paul's exposition in Romans.
  • Gen 3:12-13--the introduction of sin also brings the introduction of blaming others for our actions
  • Gen 3:16--Eve's curse includes the provision: "Yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you"  I always think of this as interesting in light of woman's tendency towards romanticism and constant desire for romantic love.  It is part of Eve's curse!
  • Gen 7:11 ..."on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened.  And the rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights."  The flood is a result of overflowing from the ocean as well as from "the heavens"  You always think of just rain causing it...what can I say?  God is efficient! ;)
  • Gen 8:7  I just wondered what ever happened to the raven??
  • Gen 8:21 "I will never again curse the ground on account of man for the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth..."  I just think that is interesting...I mean, we know that the sin nature is in us from the beginning, but God uses this fact as the basis for his promise to never destroy all of life on the earth again.
  • Gen 9:3-4 "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. Only you shall not eat flesh with it's life, that is, its blood."  First mention that we are allowed/commanded to eat meat.  It is only after the flood.  Just interesting to me.
Personal "take-aways"
  • In the story of Abraham & Sarah (still Abram & Sarai through this section) we see a lot of them trying to take things into their own hands rather than trusting God. Abram did this is 12:11-20 when he told Sarai to pretend to be his sister, and basically whored her out to pharoah in order to protect himself form being killed so they could have his wife.  Then of course Sarai did this after God promised Abram that he would have a multitude of descendents by having him sleep w/her Egyptian handmaid (weird that both Sarai & Abram ended up sleeping with Egyptians during these passages while still married to one another).  They basically sinned against God and defiled their marriage by not trusting the Lord and trying to do things in a way that "makes sense" in the human mind. Yet it is encouraging that they were still chosen by God and blessed inspite of their lack of trust and their disobedience.
  • In 16:7-16 you see the provision of the Lord for Hagar and the promise to multiply her descendants as well--of course this is an abnormal type of promise/covenant back in such a male-centered society and shows the Lord's care and concern for all people, regardless of race or gender or status.
  • In 15:6-9 we see that Abram believed the Lord's promises, yet still questioned Him about how it was to happen.  God still "reckoned (his belief) as righteousness" even though he questioned and didn't fully understand.  How great for us that God loves and chooses imperfect people who make mistakes!
I'm super excited about doing this challenge (even though it kinda scares me) and will be posting regularly to update! If you are interested in joining along, the reading plan is here.  Let me know if you want to follow along!

1 comment:

  1. There is no case for vegetarianism. God made animals taste really good for a reason.

    ReplyDelete