Monday, March 1, 2010

humbling...

If you have not yet, read my previous post, then come back here.

What can I say but that God knows how to speak to us? I went to read my devotionals tonight with a heavy heart and weary. The Classic Christian Writings book had an entry for February 29th which I was about to skip over, but decided to read anyway (the completest in me...) I'll just reproduce the whole thing b/c it is so clearly where I am:

Tears of Love
Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!" But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"
John 11:35-37

"Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus to show us that it was no sin to shed a tear of love and resignation at the grave of a deceased friend. He wept to see what havoc sin had made in the world and how it had reduced man--by making him subject to death--to a level with the beasts that perish.
Above all, He wept at the foreknowledge of the people's unbelief. He wept to think how many then present would not only not believe on Him but would be hardened and have their prejudices increased more and more against Him, though He should raise Lazarus from teh dead before their eyes.
For then the bystanders said, "Behold, how He loved him." But all were not well affected at seeing Jesus weep! For we are told that some of them said, "Could not this man, who opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?" One would imagine that Satan himself could scarce have uttered a more perverse speech. "Is not this a sufficient proof that He is a cheat? Is it likely that He really helped others when He could not help His own friend?"
How patient ought the servants of our Lord to be! And how may they expect to be censured and have their good deeds questioned! "
~George Whitfield

That was my attitude tonight, and how appropriate for me to read this!

As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries revile me, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God for I SHALL YET PRAISE HIM, the help of my countenance, and my God.
Psalm 42


Lord, thank you for this reminder of how You care, and how I need to trust YOUR PLAN.

1 comment: