Sunday, June 6, 2010

making progress

Guess what?  I sucked it up and went to church on my own tonight!  woohoo! 

I don't remember quite how real I've been over here about church stuff, but it has always been a hard issue for me. Not the whole church=the body of Christ, but dealing with issues within the local church.  I have been one to take more of the "church is just about having true fellowship, worship, and instruction with other believers" than connecting with a local body of Christ in the confines of a an actual church congregation.  I wrestle with this b/c it cannot be said that our culture's definition of church--you know, the greeting, sing a few songs, pray, hear a message, sing again and be dismissed routine--is exactly what was going on in Acts with the early church, and I have honestly always had better and more honest fellowship in Bible studies that were through parachurch organizations like Campus Crusade for Christ--at least since I've been out of high school. 

I was sporadic at best with my church attendance in college and honestly preferred to sleep on Sunday morning (honestly, I still do).  I was involved in about a million different aspects of college ministry and had true fellowship, Bible studies, and personal quiet times and sharing my faith, so what was the need? (I thought)

After hubs and I got married, we started regularly attending a very small church plant in town and I tried to get very involved there.  Relationships were formed, but honestly not as close as ones that I had from Crusade and independent Bible studies, and hubs never really got (or wanted to get) "plugged in" as we Christians like to say ;).  Then I got sick and everything went out the window.  Things were said or implied, feelings were hurt, hubs got turned off, and we were done.  For a long time (and still occasionally) my health was so bad on the weekends after working a full week that it was all I could do to get up by one in the afternoons on the weekends, and maybe get grocery shopping and laundry done.  And then we had a habit.  Sleep in, enjoy "off" time, get a few things done around the house, and get fellowship and instruction/accountability through Bible studies and meetings on my own.

We would occasionally very rarely go to my parents church and once my health issues became manageable we discussed finding a new "church home" but hubs was honestly not interested, and I didn't have the willpower or desire to go on my own. 

Then last May my last group of Bible study girls graduated and moved away, and suddenly I was without the consistent fellowship I had had for so long.  I kept up semi-weekly accountability meetings with a dear friend, but I missed the consistent connection with other believers.  A few times I went to my best friend's church and loved it--felt instantly like I could be (even already was) connected, but there was one tiny glitch of the church being over an hour away and in another state...Yeah, I follow their blog and listen to the podcasts, but the fellowship is not there. I have also tended to pretend that online connections with blog friends and the like can substitute...but nope. 

So tonight, after months of saying that I was going to, I stopped the excuses, decided that laundry and groceries can and should wait, and went to a church that I had been invited to by a few friends on different occasions.  Had a mini-panic...couldn't find the right place at first (found the office, not where they meet) and honeslty thought about backing out.  But I went and it was so good.  There are at least 6 people/couples that I kind of know, and the teaching and worship were really good.  Big bonus--the church meets at 5:30 on Sunday evenings, so no oversleeping worries here!  lol ;)  I have only been once so of course don't know for sure if this will be "my home church" but it is a start. 

Some of you know details of this, and I won't go into it for his privacy, but hubs is still very hurt and somewhat jaded about "the church"in general.  Please pray for that.  I can't do anything to change his mind, and honestly any more discussion will not help, but please just pray for him to have a desire for this.  And for me to get over the stigma I place on being a married woman who is trying to walk with the Lord yet going to church alone.  That is hard pill for me to swallow, but it's time to take a big gulp and be done with it. 

Here's to a step in the right direction! (and keep me accountable to keep walking...)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you and going to church! I was where you are now for a long time - through college and then the first couple years of our marriage. In college there were other relationships and organizations that I felt could make up for church and I had no interest in finding a church in the small college town I was in. This was also the time in my life that i doubted and felt furthest from God - imagine that! Not that 'church' is the magic pill to get you to have a relationship but I feel that it is very instrumental in getting you to take those steps on your own. all that said, I am all about sleeping in too so I am very excited for you finding a 5:30 church! lol Like you said, don't know if this is "your" church, but I'm so excited about this first step that you have taken toward getting back to the body of Christ and fellowshiping with other believers. I think finding a good church where you can grown this summer with help prepare you for your new bible studies this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!! so glad you went! i think one of the biggest pluses for being a part of the local church is that we cant "pick" who are brothers and sisters will be... just like the Acts church which had thousands coming. We tend to only be in bible studies with people we like or think are easy for us to be with, but I think God wants us to love people who are hard to love too... enter the local church with all its drama! haha! love you girl and I am proud you took this leap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Sarah!!!! I am so proud of you and excited for you! I will continue to pray for your hubs but I think what you are doing will influence him so much! I can't wait to catch up with you!!!

    ReplyDelete