Friday, February 26, 2010

FamilyLife.com--the bitter poison

Read this article from family life this evening and wanted to share it. I think we all probably struggle with this in some ways in our marriages. Regardless of how our spouses hurt or disappoint us, nothing good comes from keeping a "bank account" of ways our spouse has wronged us--you don't earn interest towards a better marriage with that!

Loved this last paragraph especially:
  • "worry about changing yourself, not your husband. You cannot change your spouse—only God can. But what you can do is allow God to change your heart. If you have a log of bitterness in your own eye, how can you take the speck out of your husband's eye? (Matthew 7:3). You, too, have made choices in this relationship that have hurt your husband and need to be mended. Even though your husband's sin goes unresolved for now, he will answer for them one day before God (Matthew 10:26). In the same way, God will hold you responsible for the bitterness in your heart."
This is one of the biggest issues for me. I tend to think I am perfect--that whole pride thing coming into play again--and that is just not the case. When I find myself being especially discontent or bitter towards hubs I try to make a list of things that I love about him and really focus on those. Thank God for the things your husband IS, not what he isn't. (because...guess what? He may have his own needs or desires that you are not living up to!)

Hope you read and enjoy this article!

Archive - FamilyLife.com

Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment